What information does ScratchJr collect?
We collect some data on where you click and which parts of the app you use. This "click data" (collected through a tool called Google Analytics) helps us figure out ways to improve the app. We also collect information about your geographic location (using IP address and network location) to help us understand where ScratchJr is being used.
Although it uses Google Analytics, ScratchJr does not share any information it collects with Google, and Google does not collect any personal identifying information about you.
Google Analytics acquires information by installing a "cookie" on your device. Cookies are small bits of information that are stored on your device, without any personally identifiable information.
How does the ScratchJr Team use the information it collects?
- We may use the information in research studies intended to improve our understanding of how people learn with ScratchJr. The results of this research are shared with educators and researchers through conferences, journals, and other publications.
- We analyze the information to understand and improve ScratchJr, such as determining which sample projects are most popular, which characters are most used, and how long users spend in the app.
- We may disclose some of the information to third-party service providers that help us perform various support functions (such as usage analytics). We are satisfied that these service providers have privacy policies that restrict them from further disclosing any of your information.
Other than the cases described above, we will never share personally identifiable information about you with any other person, company, or organization, except:
- As required to comply with our obligations under the law.
- For technical reasons, if we are required to transfer the data on our servers to another location or organization.